The first well known mass event of Indian History was the #Rvolt1857. At the evening of 10th may , the sepoy in Merut started a mission for Delhi and next morning in Delhi they accompanied with the pedestrians . After killing the European officers , rebels nominated Bahadur Shah Jafar, the Emperor of Hindustan. Over the country , every where rebellions accepted Moughal Emperor as their king.
In Gwaliar an army of 20,000 soldiers along with Tantia Tope and Rani Laxmibai , leave the palace and announce the revolt.Peasants , labourers , workers, weaver, cottage Industry Workers accumulated and came along with support of these soldiers. It was a mass participation of lower and working class, which was highly discontented with the behavior of Money lenders and landlords. They show their wrath against the upper class. Britishers set fire to many villages and hanged the people from branches of tree at chaurahas and in markets.
Main Centers and their leaders of Revolt
- Delhi – Bahadur Shah Jafar
- Kanpur-Nana Saheb
- Baraily-Bakht Khan
- Lucknow-Begum Hazarat Mahal
- Jhansi-Rani Laxmi Bai
- Aara(Bihar)-Kunwar Singh
- Faizabad-Maulavi Ahmadullah
Reason behind the Revolt
In 1857 this revolt occurred in north and central part of India and uprooted the colonial structures. The reason behind the revolt were-
- Policies of East India company and behavior of its officers gave birth to a highly discontented group of people. The main reason of this sever feeling was the economical and social exploitation of people and the devastation of the traditional social structures. Both of these reasons accumulate the peasants , laborers, cottage industry workers and daily workers were running with hunger and poverty.
- Exploitation by the officers at lower level of #Rayots and #Jamidars give reason to them stand against British. Misusing the complex processes of Justice and court the rich people used to exploit the poor people in debt. Increasing rate of poverty and hunger increase the discontentment and erases the hope and they accompanied by the rebels to show their wrath.
- End of princely states created a group of unemployed people who were on highly designated post in these states. Now these people were struggling for their livelihood and employment. The rulers of these states were found of arts, music, painting,poetry,dances and literature and that’s why they did respect to artists, poets, writers, musicians,painters. But as soon as the british rule override these states the expel out the artist class from society and the became jobless and worthless. Their sentiments and religious values were hurt by the Britishers .The monks and religious experts started to preach the people that the East India company ant their employee are palying with their sentiments and values.
- British were always alien for Indian. They never had a sympathy with residence of India. Their main goal was to collection of wealth and economical exploitation and to boom their trade. They were never part of the contemporary society and class. They always try to prove the people that they are masters and Indians are the slaves.
- Doctrine of Lapse of Dalahugie ruined many states in the subcontinent. There were 75000 thousands soldiers in East India Company from Awadh only and when Awadh was acquired by East India Company the soul of these people hurt and their patriotism and sentiments came out as revolt. The excuse of Bad governance was exposed soon and people were imposed with high revenue and tax rate. The doctrine of Lapse gave birth to many Dangerous Enemy against the EIC as Rani Laxmi Bai, Tantia tope,Nana Saheb, Bahadur Shah, Hazarat Mahal etc.
- In 1855-56 the Santhal tribes of Bihar and Bengal expelled away the britishers with the help of their traditional weapons and bow-arraow like tools. This incident declared the power of revolt.
- 1849, a statement was announced that the Moughals after Bahadur Shah will not accommodate in The Lal Quila, instead they will have to live in a small space near Qutub Minar.